Frequency of positive anti hepatitis C virus antibodies among lichen planus patients

Authors

  • Madiha Iqbal Jinnah Hospital Lahore

Abstract

Objective The purpose of this study was to determine frequency of positive Hepatitis C virus in lichen planus patients.   Methods It was a cross-sectional survey which was carried out from 06-08-2014 to 05-02-2015 at the Department of Dermatology, Jinnah Hospital, Lahore. Total 100 patients of lichen planus were enrolled. Antibody titre of  Hepatitis C were measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbant assay of third generation.   Results Patients of age between 20-70 years were selected. Mean age was 40.55±14.38 years. Out of total 100 patients, 58 were male (58%) while remaining 42 were female (42.0%). Skin involvement was seen in 96 patients (96.0%), mucous membrane involvement in 21 patients (21.0%) and nails involvement in 8 patients (8.0%). Distribution of patients by type of lesions was as follows: nonerosive mucosal 13%, hypertrophic 80%, annular 1%, follicular 8%, nonerosive palmoplantar 5%, nail lesions 6%, atrophic 9%, erosive mucosal lesions 10%, guttate form 6%, actinic 8% and erosive palmoplantar lesions 1%.  Hepatitis C antibody was positive in 23 patients (23.0%).   Conclusion  We discovered high frequency of positive HCV in lichen planus patients. We need a case-control study on a larger population to clarify our results.   Key words Lichen planus, hepatitis C virus, lichenoid eruption.

Downloads

Published

2022-06-01

How to Cite

1.
Iqbal M. Frequency of positive anti hepatitis C virus antibodies among lichen planus patients. J Pak Assoc Dermatol [Internet]. 2022Jun.1 [cited 2024Jun.24];32(2):373-7. Available from: http://www.jpad.com.pk/index.php/jpad/article/view/1930

Issue

Section

Original Articles